Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Marrying a Malaysian Part 1: Registering Your Marriage In Malaysia

Cross-border marriage generally gives us more headaches when it comes to its legal preparation as compared to "local marriage". I am not an exception too.

I am a typical Singaporean girl who will get married to my Malaysian boyfriend soon. Just in case where you are also a foreiger planning to register your marriage in Malaysia with your Malaysian spouse,  you will realise how complicated the preparation of the legal documents can get.

I am documentating my experience in preparing and submitting some of the paperwork to relevant authorities in both Singapore and Malaysia in order to get the approval to register my marriage in Malaysia.

Before I start, let me explain why am I choosing to have my marriage registered in Malaysia instead of Singapore where the processes are often seem to be more hassle-free. The main reason is to simplify the whole process for my long term social visit pass application in order for me to settle down permanently in Malaysia.

The following below are the steps to complete before you could file a marriage application with the relevant Malaysian authories:

1. Obtain a Single Status Letter from your home country

It is a requirement for all foreign spouse to obtain a Single Status Letter/ Letter of Impediment from your home country. In my case, it's Singapore. However, unlike other countries, Registry of Marriages (ROM) Singapore is unable to issue such letter. I have obtained an original certified true copy of search result of marriage records from ROM Singapore instead to show my eligibility to marry. Singaporeans can apply for a copy of the result of marriage records here : https://app.rom.gov.sg/emrs/rom_emrs_cpmty_start.asp

** Note: The Single Status Letter is only valid for 6 months if there is no date stated on it.

2. To attest and certify the Single Status Letter
After getting my original certified true copy of search result of marriage records from ROM Singapore, I proceeded to Minstry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Service Office, Singapore to have the piece of document legalized. The process took less than 10 mins to complete. There is a SGD 10 service fee charged for this. You could check out on the link below for more details.

After getting the document stamped by the consular office, I proceeded to the Malaysia High Commission in Singapore to get it certified. However, this time, the process took about 3 days before I can collect the stamped document from the Malaysia Embassy in Singapore.

** Note: Please remember to bring along a copy of your NRIC/Passport before you proceed to the Consular service counter.

3. To reside in the district of marriage for at least 7 days

All foreign spouses are required to reside in the district of marriage for at least 7 days before the application of marriage can be filed to the relevant authorities in Malaysia. So, I booked a bus ticket and stayed in Malaysia for a week.

4. Re-certify the Single Status Letter at Wisma Putra, Putrajaya

Be sure that you are have fulfilled step 3 before you proceed to visit Wisma Putra. Similarly, at the Wisma Putra, proceed to the Consular service section to have the Single Status Letter certified. Be prepared to wait for longer time this time. The whole process took about 2 hours for me.

5.  JPN Office, Putrajaya to submit the marriage application

Before you proceed to the Marriage & Divorce counter, please check if you have the following documents with you.

Original & Photocopy of:
 
1. MyKad, MyPR or Malaysian green card (that is still valid).
2. Passport and photocopy of pages with personal details, the latest arrival date in Malaysia and a valid visa or pass for non-citizen.
3. One (1) colour passport-sized photograph per applicant.
4. Approval letter from the Immigration department for the student pass and temporary employment pass holders to register their marriage in Malaysia.
5.1. Birth Certificate for non-citizen ( I think this is only for applicant age below 18)
5.2. Decree nisi absolute (divorce certificate), if applicable.
5.3. Death certificate of previous spouse, if applicable.
5.4. Single Status Letter

When you have these documents ready, please proceed to the counter. The officer should hand you Form JPN.KC02 for you to fill it up. Please note that Form JPN.KC02 is entirely in Malay language.

6. Submit Letter of Approval to respective JPN office

The last step is to bring the Letter of Approval issue by JPN Putrajaya to the respective JPN office which you have choose to have your marriage solemnize. Please have the documents listed in step 5 ready again for re-submission at the respective JPN office.

** Note: For Malaysian who wish to marry their foreign spouse, you could only choose to have the marriage solemnize at the JPN office. Solemnizing at other venues such as church or temples will not be allowed.   

Written above are all my experiences in completing my marriage application in Malaysia. For those who wish to have a much clearer view, you may wish to check on the website below. http://www.jpn.gov.my/en/servicesmarriageordivorce

Be sure to follow me on Facebook or Twitter  for any latest updates on my blog. So stay tuned!

28 comments:

  1. Hi elin thanks for the informative post. Can you share that how rom in Malaysia would simplify the long term pass application process? I'm Malaysian and my gf is Singaporean, we're planning to move back kl after marriage. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you will need to update your marriage in Malaysia and obtain a Malaysia Marriage cert in order to apply for LTSVP in Malaysia. However, this step is not neccessary if you have registered your marriage in Malaysia

      Delete
  2. Hi, Ms. Elin,
    你好, 想要問一下, 你申請到LTSVP後有被規定說多久時間之內都不能離開馬來西亞嗎>???
    還是LTSVP可以讓你隨時進出都沒有問題, 我問的是第一次申請的時候.
    謝謝你!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, 其实我也不清楚。 申请到LTSVP 后, 我一年都没出过国。 建议你还是向移民厅了解一下。

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    For the One (1) colour passport-sized photograph per applicant.

    Do I just submit my normal SG passport size photo, or do I have to take those with blue background? like for Malaysian passport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I think it doesn't really matter.

      Delete
  4. Do you have any idea which particular department we need to speak to for "4. Approval letter from the Immigration department for the student pass and temporary employment pass holders to register their marriage in Malaysia."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, wanna check with you. how long is the processing time from step 1 to the end? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    My wife and i just did rom in singapore last month, we were reminded by singapore rom officer to register in high commission of Malaysia, singapore.

    www.kln.gov.my/web/sgp_singapore/birth_marriage_cert

    May i know if this is a another simpler way for us to 
    Obtain malaysia marriage certificate for LTSVP application?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is singaporean bt registration (previously was malaysian), i am malaysian

      Delete
    2. There is no simpler way for you to obbtain Malaysia marriage certificate. This is why I aways advise people to register their marriage in Malaysia if they plan to apply for a LTSVP. It does not matter whether she is Malaysian previously or not. Since she has chosen to give up her Malaysia citizenship, then you will have to follow the law for Singaporean.

      Delete
  7. Do you have any idea on how if a student pass holder wants to get married to a Malaysian? Is our student pass directly being cancelled? cause right now I am still finishing my Master

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Elin,
    May i ask u is , how many pc of certify the Single Status Letter needed ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Elin,
    Thanks for the reply . really make me confuse during the application .

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Elin,

    Morning. I have a bit confuse at step 2 & 4 which certified the single status letter . As i understand from Malaysia goverment, when we got it the original certified true copy of search result of marriage records from ROM we have to proceed to MFA for legalised . After that , can proceed to Ministry of foreign affairs, malaysia(at Kl)for verified the such document . But from your experience , 1st you go to MFA for legalised,then 2nd you go to Malaysia embassy in sinagapore for certified , and 3rd you re-certified again in KL consular service before you proceed to JPN.May i know , is it the same if i legalised my document at MFA 1st, then straight proceed to ministry of foreign affairs,malaysia(at Kl) which can skip the step at malaysia embassy in singapore for certified ? Kindly notified me if i was wrong , thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I have three stamps on my single status letter. I am not sure whether you can skip the step at malaysia embassy in Singapore. Everything I wrote here is based on my experience.

      Delete
  11. Hi elin,

    Alright, noted with thanks . Maybe i have to clarified again with the gouverment ... Thanks a lot ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Elin,

    Morning. Sorry to trouble you again. May i know is it have to legalized your passport / birth cert at MFA also ? As i know, single status letter have to legalized only.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a Filipino about to marry a Malaysian. We're getting a marriage license next week but I'm planning to go home and come back after a month to get married. I don't want to waste my return ticket. But my question is, can I be granted an extension of my social visit pass for the purpose of getting married? We have to wait 3 weeks at least before we can get the ceremony after getting the license.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elin,

    Morning. May i know once you got it your date of solemnize is it have to stay for 7days also ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      You do not need to stay for 7 stay after you got your date to solemnize.

      Delete
  15. Hi Elin,

    Thanks for the reply . So means that i not need to stay at malaysia for 7days before my ROM date ? Exp:if my ROM date is 12/11/16.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Day Elin,
    May i check with you if step 4 to 6 can be completed in one day?

    After we completed step 6 we can choose the ROM date?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Sorry for the late reply. I completed all the steps in one day. At step 6, you will be given a few ROM dates to choose from.

      Delete
  17. Hey Elin!
    Thanks for the information, I was wondering if you know if it's possible my Malaysian bf and I got married abroad and afterwards registering it Malaysia's ROM? Would I have the same process as you when later on I want to register LTSVP?

    If I don't register my marriage in Malaysia, what are the extra steps i have to do when applying LTSVP?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arrum,

      You will need to update your marriage in Malaysia and obtain a Malaysia Marriage cert if you get married abroad.

      Delete