Marrying a Malaysian: Renewal of Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) Malaysia - New Updates! (As at August 2018)

By Elin Chow - Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Last month, I renewed my Singapore passport at the Singapore High Commision Kuala Lumpur as it was going to expire in January 2019. The reason I renewed it so soon was because I intended to apply for a 5 years Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) Malaysia once it expire in Sep 2018, and in order to do that, I would need to get a new passport.

I have been granted a 3 years LTSVP on my last renewal. Some of the requirements have changed over the past 3 years, but we actually find the process so much more faster and straightforward. As usual, I would like to document down all the processes just to share about my experience with people who might be in the same situation as me. Please note that the requirements may vary from case to case, and this is based on my experience as per my application in August 2018. I do hope that this  post will be helpful to any foreign spouses staying in Malaysia.

Renewal Process

Previously, you are only allowed to apply for a renewal 2 weeks before your LTSVP expiry date. The immigration will not allow a renewal if you visit too early. But since I have changed a new passport, I am required by law to transfer my LTSVP from my old passport to my new passport. So we decided to visit the immigration office 3 weeks before the expiry date to try our luck. But surprisingly, I am allowed to renew my LTSVP even though we were too early.

Also, unlike in the past, you can collect your passport and LTSVP on the same day no matter how many years you apply. Last time, same day collection is only available if you apply for a one year extension. Any longer than that, the processing time is 3 days. It is good that the processing time has become shorter now, but unfortunately, my application for a five (5) years extension was not successful. In the end, I was only granted a three (3) years LTSVP. To be honest, I feel really disappointed but somehow, it seems that the immigration does not give out 5 years LTSVP easily now.

I did my renewal at the Jalan Duta immigration office. To avoid the crowds, try to arrive as early as possible and head straight to the "Pass and Permit Division," located on the second floor. It will be good if you can get the following documents ready before you make the visit.

1. Form IMM 55 and IMM 38

I am not required to fill up form IMM 55 previously. But this time, the officer asked me to fill in and submit IMM 55 as well. Please note that these forms cannot be downloaded online. You can get these form from the immigration officer at the information counter at the "Pass and Permit Division".

2. Surat Akuan Form

Other than form IMM 55 and IMM 38, you will get the Surat Akuan Form from the officer as well. After filling up the form, you will need to visit the Commission of Oaths office located at the ground floor to do some stamping. This will cost you RM 4 or RM 15 if you need them to help you fill up the forms.

3. Original and copy of  Mykad of Malaysian Spouse (Front and Back)

4. Original and copy of passport of Foreign Spouse

I just renewed my passport recently, so I submitted copies of both my old and new passports.

5. 1 passport photo of Malaysian Spouse

6. 1 passport photo of foreign Spouse

7. Original and copy of birth certificates if you have children

The documents required are almost the same as the last renewal. However, this time, I am not required to submit copies of all my previous LTSVP. But I believe it is safer to bring them along just in case the immigration changes their requirements again.

Renewal of Work Endorsement

Just like last time, I renewed my work endorsement as well. The work endorsement will expire along with your LTSVP, so make sure you renew it if you wish to continue working. You can renew your work endorsement together with your LTSVP on the same day.

1. Stamped employment contract (RM 10)

Please get your company to amend the date of your original employment contract to current date and send it for stamping.

2. Office photos (exterior and interior)

The immigration asked for my office photos this time, which is something new. Luckily, I have them prepared before we visited. If not, I will have to make another trip to the immigration office just to get the work endorsement done again. Basically, I just took photos of the exterior of my office building and also, the interior of my office and have them printed out in colors. The immigration accepted whatever I gave and processed my work endorsement without any problems.

I did submitted company form 9, 24 and 49 as well, but was told that these were not required because I am still working for the same company. But I recommend bringing them along just in case the immigration officer ask for them.

Update: I recently heard that foreign wives of Malaysians are only allowed to apply for work endorsement after staying in Malaysia for 3 years on a LTSVP. Apparently, this only applies to Jalan Duta branch. I am not sure how true is that.

Collection

I am asked to wait for my number to be called again after submitting all the documents. Be prepared to wait for at least an hour before you will be called to make payment at the cashier. I am not sure whether debit or credit cards are accepted, so it is best that you bring enough cash with you. After payment is made, you will be asked to wait for your number to call again to collect your passport.

Again, it was another long wait. I probably waited for 30 minutes before I was called to collect my passport. But unfortunately, my application for extension of the work endorsement has been overlooked. So that means I will need to wait again, but this time, it was much more longer than before. I waited for almost an hour before I was called again.

Upon collecting my passport, we went to inquire about my eligibility to apply for Permanent Residency (PR) in Malaysia. I was told that I will be eligible to apply and was given the forms and checklist for my application. Hopefully, everything will be smooth and hassle free too. I shall update the process here again once I have submitted the application for PR in Malaysia.

For foreign spouse who plans to marry and reside in Malaysia on a long term basis, you may wish to learn more about the following topics too. If you are interested to know how to:

1. Register your marriage in MalaysiaMarrying A Malaysia Part 1

2. Apply for a Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse pass) with a work endorsement: Marrying A Malaysian Part 2: Obtaining A Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse Pass)

3. Renew Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse Pass) Malaysia: Marrying A Malaysian Part 3: How To Extend Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse Pass) Malaysia

4. Applying For Permanent Residency in Malaysia: Marrying a Malaysian: Applying For Permanent Residency (PR) In Malaysia

5. Immigration interview for permanent residency: Marrying a Malaysian: Immigration Interview For Permanent Residency (PR) In Malaysia

6. Renew  Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) + Work Endorsement Online: Marrying a Malaysia: How To Renew Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) + Work Endorsement Online During The Covid-19 Pandemic (Updated September 2021)

Be sure to follow me on Facebook or Twitter  for any latest updates on my blog. So stay tuned!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

31 comments

  1. Hi Elin! Thanks for sharing your experience! I am also a Singaporean who is married to a Malaysian and looking to apply for a LTSVP. I read in another blog that copies of passport and other certificates have to be certified true copy by a JPN office. Did you encounter that as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yeoh,

      I have not encounter that. The immigration did not asked for copies of my passport and other certificates to be certified by a JPN office. I don't understand what is the purpose of that. The only thing I need to is to bring along the original copy of the documents during application for verification purposes.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elin,
    Can the renewal be done in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      No, renewal can only be done in state immigration offices in Malaysia

      Delete
    2. Hi We are currently in Singapore can't travel back to Malaysia State Immigration Office. How can we renew our LTSVP? Please advise.

      Delete
    3. Hi, There is no way you can renew your LTSVP in Singapore. The only way is to get back into Malaysia

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    Can the renewal be done at UTC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      No you can only do the renewal at state immigration office

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    After how many years of marriage you eligible for PR application?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      The eligibility to apply is not based on the number of years of marriage. It is based on the number of years you hold a LTSVP. You have to hold a LTSVP for a continuous of 5 years in order to be eligible for PR application.

      Delete
  5. hi,

    can visit own country during LTSVP? How?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi...my husband frm india before 2 month her spouse visa was expired tht time he in iindia...n this month he come with multiple entry visa i wan ask we can renewel again spouse visa?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elin,

    Do we need to submit any forms for the work endorsement renewal, if still working for the same company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerry,

      I did not submit any form for work endorsement renewal

      Delete
  8. Hi Elin. I appreciate your sharing on renewal LTSVP. I will renew my pass on February 2020. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elin,
    My Malaysian friend just married a foreigner. He was told he needs to wait for 6 months before he can apply for a LTSVP. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elin, for renewal is there a requirement for spouse salary slip? they said you can apply PR after your 3rd year or have you completed 5yrs? TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the latest update I heard is that there is a requirement for spouse salary. If I am not wrong, it is at least RM 2k or 2.5K. But this does not apply to me years back. Now you also need to be married for at least 6 months before you can apply for a LTSVP. I am not sure whether this apply to all nationality and gender or just specific ones. You can only apply PR after 5 years, not 3 years.

      Delete
    2. Salary slip refers to the payslip of the foreign spouse or either one of the couple? Meaning the foreigner is not allowed to be unemployed?

      Without LTSVP for the first 6 months of marriage, how else can both couple stay together? Thru STSVP ?

      Delete
    3. Hi, salary slip does not refer to the payslip of the foreign spouse as foreign spouse will not be allowed to work without a LTSVP work endorsement. It refer to the salary slip of the Malaysian spouse, who has to be the sponsor of the foreign spouse.

      Delete
  11. PLease advice me. My GF is illegal immigrant indon. She want to go back next and i will bring her back but i afraid she will get blacklisted when try to go back. Is there anyway for me to marry blacklisted people whether at here malaysia or back in Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, just to clarify, I saw on the immigration Malaysia website that "3.Statutory Declaration by the husband and wife that the marriage is still binding." is one of the required documents?

    How do I get that? Is this the same as the Surat Akuan that you referred to? Could you provide some details on how to get that document?

    Thanks a lot for the help in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, statutory declaration also means Surat Akuan. You will need to visit the immigration office to obtain it.

      Delete
  13. hi sir, may i know how many years visa i can get on my third renewal of spouse visa

    ReplyDelete
  14. first time they gave me 6 months spouse visa second time again 6 months they, now when i g for third time how many years visa will i get? or again will i get 6 months visa?...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing, to they require birth certificate of the foreign spouse for renewal if they don't have children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't have to give your birth certificate during the renewal.

      Delete
  16. Hi elin, today renew my LTSVP and they gave me 6 months visa. This is my second 6 month visa. When I ask the immigration officer when can I get at least 1 year visa (because for working in Malaysia foreigners need at least 1 year LTSVP) he told me they have to check our house first so they can be sure our marriage is it real or not. So only after that I can be eligible for 1 year pass. Do you have any experience about that? when they will check our house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali, the officer did not visit my house at all. But that was 8 years ago, so I am not sure whether the rules had changed. I got a one year visa upon first application because I am a Singaporean. I never got a 6 months visa. I think this is based on gender and nationality.

      Delete