Marrying a Malaysian: Immigration Interview For Permanent Residency (PR) In Malaysia

By Elin Chow - Saturday, January 26, 2019


Photo By: Elin Chow

Back in October 2018, I submitted my application for permanent Residency (PR) in Malaysia and I was given a date for an interview at the immigration office in January 2019. I have attended the interview with my husband last week at Jalan Duta immigration office, the branch where I have applied my Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) and submitted my PR application.

We were asked  to bring along all the original documents listed in the PR application checklist on the day of the interview. This is simply for the interviewing officer to verify your documents.

Original Documents Required

Below are some of the original documents required (but may vary case to case):

- Old and new passports (applicant)
- Birth certs (applicant and Malaysian)
- Malaysia marriage cert
- Overseas marriage cert (if you registered overseas)
- Malaysian sponsor's MyKad
- Proof of residence (water or electricity bill)
- Security bond receipt
- Children's MyKad & birth cert
- Children's passport

Photocopies are not required as we have already submitted them during the application. To be honest, I was feeling really nervous about the interview as I could not communicate well in Bahasa Melayu. There are very little information available on the internet, so we really have no idea what kind of questions they would ask.

The Interview

We were slightly late on the day of the interview as we were caught in a traffic jam. It was quite an unlucky day for us because we have difficulty finding a parking space at the immigration office too. But luckily, the interviewing officer did not penalize us for being late.

The interviewing officer is a very friendly Malay lady who greeted us warmly with a bright smile upon our arrival. She asked my husband whether I could understand or speak Bahasa Melayu. He answered that I could only understand the language in a basic way. She smiled and asked for the original documents.

She briefly checked the original documents against the photocopied documents that we have submitted last year before proceeding to ask more questions. Below are some of questions she have asked:

- Personal information like phone number and address
- Occupation and monthly income
- Our marriage date
- How long we dated before getting married
- Where and how did we met each other
- The reason for applying permanent residency in Malaysia

My husband answered most of the questions and all I did was smile and nod my head. The interviewer officer was pleased with the answers and we were glad that we were not penalized for my inability to speak the Malaysian language. It seems that as long as one of us is able answer the questions in Bahasa Melayu, we will be safe.

The interview lasted about 10 minutes. It was short but pretty smooth sailing. At the end of the interview, we were to told to wait for the interview invitation from the police. The police should call either one of us anytime in the next 6 months.

While waiting for the call from the police, we are allowed to travel abroad. She mentioned that a lot of people thought that they are not allowed to travel overseas during this period, which is not true. We can still travel anywhere as we like. If we did not receive any phone call from the police in the next 6 months, we could call the person-in-charge to inquiry about the status. Also, we have to make sure that we continue to renew my LTSVP until my PR application is approved. If not, I will not be able to stay here.

We were told that if the police interview went on smoothly, they will then proceed to submit my application to Putrajaya for processing. Since we registered our marriage in Malaysia, it will be easier for me to get PR in Malaysia. My application will probably take 2-3 years to get the result, which is considered quite fast. But I doubt it will be "easier" just like what we were told because it was never easy. Well, unless I am really the lucky one. 

So I guess now I could only wait and pray with all my heart that luck will be on my side. I shall update about my police interview in another post again once I have done that. Please note that everything I have shared in this post is solely based on my personal experience. Each immigration offices in Malaysia or interviewing officers would have different set of questions or rules for PR interview. So please use this post as a reference only.

For foreign spouse who plans to marry and reside in Malaysia on a long term basis, you may wish to learn more about the following topics too. If you are interested to know how to:

1. Register your marriage in MalaysiaMarrying A Malaysia Part 1

2. Apply for a Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse pass) with a work endorsement: Marrying A Malaysian Part 2: Obtaining A Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse Pass)

3. Renew Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse Pass) Malaysia: Marrying A Malaysian Part 3: How To Extend Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse Pass) Malaysia

4. Renew Long Term Social Visit Pass (Spouse Pass) Malaysia (Updated August 2018): Marrying a Malaysian: Renewal of Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) Malaysia  - New Updates! (As at August 2018)

5. Applying For Permanent Residency (PR) In Malaysia: Marrying a Malaysian: Applying For Permanent Residency (PR) In Malaysia

6. Renew  Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) + Work Endorsement Online: Marrying a Malaysia: How To Renew Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) + Work Endorsement Online During The Covid-19 Pandemic (Updated September 2021)

Be sure to follow me on Facebook for any latest updates on my blog. So stay tuned! 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

44 comments

  1. Hi , have you successfully gotten your pr ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi , mai i know the immigration officer ask the question is in bahasa malayu or english?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The officer will ask the question in bahasa malaysia.

      Delete
  3. All the best Elin. I enjoy reading all your posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about spouse visa? My wife is malaysian and we have been married for three months. We went to Immigration office at Klang and they told me that I am elligible to apple for Spouse visa only after six months. Do we need to process as same way as you did for PR?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,have you attended 2nd interviewing at Police station?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have attended the 2nd interview

      Delete
    2. i really wanted to know your 2nd interview questions. kindly share with us.

      Delete
  6. Hi Elin, May i know how was your interview with police? what qesution they asked you? I am very worry too for my husband as we just got the interview letter for April. I read your post on the 1st Interview, I think i will prepare him abit, and it would be great if you can share your second Interview. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elin, hope u r doing well during this difficult time! I was wondering how your second interview went. I have my 1st interview tomorrow and am starting to get a bit anxious 🥴 Hope to hear from you. Warmest Regards, Rabea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I hope your 1st interview went well. I did not do very well for my second interview. The police officer was not very friendly.

      Delete
  8. Hi Elin, do u mind to share the interview you had with the police? What are the questions that were asked to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan, basically, they will be checking on the background on your Malaysian spouse and you. Some of the questions include how you and your spouse met, how long both of you dated, how many family members you have and what are their occupations, your education qualifications, etc. I was also asked about my knowledge of Malaysia, particularly about Rukun Negara, which I think is a bit funny because I am not applying for citizenship and I believe most Malaysians cannot recite that as well. The reason I did not share about the interview is I had an unpleasant experience. The police also asked for "something" from me, which I am not convenient to reveal here, but we all should know what it is

      Delete
    2. Hi Elin, it happened to me too. The police called my husband after we left the police station. They even came to my house in the evening on that day and wanted to collect that "something" from us. Anyway, we didn't give them because they mentioned that it's not 100% guarantee we will be granted the PR.

      Delete
    3. When did that happen? This is absurd! They even visited your house just for that. All we just want is to have the right to stay in this country permanently. How can the police "bully" us and make use of us like that. Yes, since it is not 100% guarantee that I will granted PR, I didn't give them as well. Luckily I didn't waste my money because I have yet to receive a reply until now.

      Delete
  9. Hi Ellen
    How about police interview what questions they usually ask?
    Thanks Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I already replied Ryan above. Some of the questions that you would expect:

      1. How both of you met?
      2. How long you dated?
      3. About both of your family members, their occupations etc
      4. What do you want to apply PR?
      5. What are your occupations, salaries etc
      6. Your knowledge about Malaysia
      7. Can you recite Rukun negara and Nagaraku? I wasn't prepared for this at all because I am only applying for PR not citizenship
      8. Education qualifications

      Delete
  10. Hi Elin, thank you for sharing your experience. Were you already successful in getting your PR status? My last interview (with a police officer) was about 4 years ago. Now I am going to have an appointment at KDN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anke, There is no update yet. It is still currently under processing in state immigration office. You appointment at KDN is for what purpose?

      Delete
    2. Hi Elin, it seems there was a miscommunication: I won't have an appointment there at KDN. :(

      Delete
  11. Thank goodness for this blog. My wife is applying for Malaysian PR in Perak. We still have 2 more years for the interview (we were married for 20+ years). At first she was not too keen on getting a Malaysian PR as she is from Thailand and our kids live in US. The Rukun Negara and Negaraku questions sound familiar as my cousin's Thai husband in Kelantan also was asked the same thing when he went for the interview with immigration & police.

    ReplyDelete
  12. may i know how long u’ve been married / stay in Malaysia before u apply for PR?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 years married and stay in Malaysia

      Delete
    2. Hi elin, thanks for sharing.
      May i know is your PR already approved? Or still in review.

      Delete
  13. Hi Elin is it still in review? It's already been 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My wife and I attended 1st police interview today. Can anyone tell me how many police interview do we need to attend for PR application?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you have to attend two police interview. One with the immigration and the other with the police.

      Delete
    2. May i know did u went to immigration to follow up ur pr status? I heard lot of missing files cases for pr..

      Delete
    3. No I didn't. If I go and check it now, I think my application will most probably get rejected. I heard that currently most application for foreign spouse who stay less than 15 years in Malaysia will be rejected. So I think I will wait for longer before I go and check it out. Furthermore, they are still processing the application for 2016.

      Delete
  15. If you got the EP number usually at you check the status online using below link

    https://eservices.imi.gov.my/myimms/myPermit.semak

    please pun the number and word only for e.g your EP/J1/18/000534 you need to key in the EPJ118000534 as your NOMBOR RUJUKAN .

    Then click semak , no need to key in the NO. DOKUMEN SEMASA PERMOHONAN *, WARGANEGARA *, and NO MYKAD PENAJA

    if you forgot your file number and please key in only this NO. DOKUMEN SEMASA PERMOHONAN * (Passport No), WARGANEGARA *, and NO MYKAD PENAJA and click semak


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I check my status often. My files are still at the state immigration office. No progress at all. I recently read that some people are asked to provide more documents when they inquired about their application status at the immigration counter. The new checklist for PR application requires more additional documents compared to a few years ago.

      Delete
    2. hi, Elin. may i know did you went to jim after getting approval from police or you just check online?

      Delete
    3. i just checked online. There is no such thing as approval from police. You just have to complete the interviewsswitj JIM and police, then wait for a result.

      Delete
  16. Hi can I know the interview is you both went in to interview? Cause if ownself run the process, usually will they ask one by one interviews right? Or it's just both of you ? Any suggestions? Anyone to contact to help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went in for the interview together. But some people say they are interviewed one by one. I guess it depends on different officers.

      Delete
  17. Hi Elin, just for my understanding that your file is still with Jalan Duta immigration and have not been forwarded to Putrajaya after all these years. If already forwarded to Putrajaya then you will have a permanent reference id. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though my file is still with Jalan Duta immigration, I have a permanent reference id number also. I am able to check the status of my application online.

      Delete
  18. Hi Elin, Its been a year since your last update, thank you for that, its been helpful. But we are also anxious about the status of your PR application. Any good news? Our interview with immi is tomorrow....nervous wreck at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, there is no update. I don't have a lot of high hopes for it. Currently a new point system is being implemented for PR application for foreign spouse. If I calculate my point, I would have fail. So, I would just continue to wait and pray for now.

      Delete