Renewing Singapore Passport at Singapore High Commission Kuala Lumpur

By Elin Chow - Friday, August 24, 2018


I recently renewed my Singapore passport at Singapore High Commission Kuala Lumpur and I figured it out it might be good to share my experience since I could not find much information about renewing my Singapore Passport in Malaysia online.

Application Process

Passport renewal and application is done at the Singapore High Commission in Kuala Lumpur. You will need the following documents to complete your passport application. Please have them ready before you submit your application at the High Commission. You will need to bring along:

- Singapore identity card

- Current Singapore passport

- Completed Singapore passport application form which you can download online. If you do not have access to a computer, the application form is also available at the High Commission.

- A passport sized, digital, colored photo taken with last 3 months. Your photograph must meet ICA's requirement. Failure to meet these requirement can delay or cause your application to be rejected. For Please see Photo Requirement for information on photo requirement.

To be honest, I was worried that my photo will be rejected because the ICA is always known to be very particular about the photo requirement. I have no idea where is the best place to have to my passport photo taken in Kuala Lumpur and there are no shop in the High Commission where you can take your photo. In the end, I had my passport photo taken at a shop near the High Commission, and luckily, it was accepted by the ICA.

Once I have all the documents ready, I proceeded to the consular section of the Singapore High Commission Kuala Lumpur. Please note that the consular section is only open from 8.30 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 5 pm from Monday to Friday. You will not be allowed to enter the High Commission if you arrived at any other time.

Bags will be security check by the security guard before you are allowed to enter. Once inside, you are required to show your identification card or passport for registration before you will be asked to put all your personal belongings into an assigned locker. You are only allow to bring the necessary documents that are required for the passport application into the consular section. The things that you should bring along with you will be the completed application form, current passport, Singapore identification card and cash.

From what I experienced, the security is pretty strict but don't worry, the security guards are quite friendly. After you passed the security gate, proceed to the consular office and get a queue number from the counter. The office is empty most of the time, so you do not really have to wait long for your turn.

Proceed to the counter and submit all the required documents to the office. Once the officer has confirmed everything is ok, you will be asked to pay the processing fee. The fee for a new passport is RM 242 (subjected to changes without notice). Please note that only cash is accepted, so make sure you bring enough cash with you.

I was told that the processing time for a new passport is about 3 to 4 weeks, which is quite long, but you cannot request them to expedite the process. So make sure you plan your time and renew your passport early before it expire to avoid any travel disruption.

Collection of Passport

You will receive a call once your passport is ready for collection, or when your application is rejected. I received a call from an officer from the High Commission after 3 weeks, informing me that my passport is ready. That was faster than I have actually expected! I am really glad that everything was smooth and hassle-free. Collecting my passport from the High Commission is fast too. You will need to bring along your old passport during collection as well.

One down, and one more to go. The next thing I have to worry about after my passport renewal will be the renewal of my long term social visit pass in Malaysia. Hopefully everything will be smooth and hassle free, so wish me luck!

Singapore High Commission Kuala Lumpur
High Commission of the Republic of Singapore
209 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: + 603 2164 1013 (Consular Section)
Email:singhc_kul@mfa.sg

Be sure to follow me on Facebook or Twitter  for any latest updates on my blog. So stay tuned! 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading
    it, you happen to be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog
    and will come back down the road. I want to encourage continue your great posts, have a nice afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for sharing. Your post was most helpful. Much obliged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you give the exact location where you have taken your photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took my photo at a mobile photo shop located beside the OSK building (Plaza OSK)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the information. I plan to renew my passport before doing my long term social visa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, May I know if you lost or misplaced your passport and after that it has expired, can I also go here for a renewal? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't have the experience of losing my passport before. You might want to inquire with the embassy what should you do if you lost your passport

      Delete