[Genting Highlands, Malaysia] Xiao Ming Kopitiam 小明冰室

By Elin Chow - Tuesday, January 03, 2023


Photo By: Elin Chow

Xiao Ming Kopitiam is a newly opened Chinese coffee shop in Gohtong Jaya. I saw tons of posts sharing and recommending this coffee shop on Facebook so we decided to pay a visit. 

Apart from their outlet in Gohtong Jaya, they have two other outlets in Bukit Tinggi 1 and Bandar Parklands, and a fourth outlet about to open in Jaya One soon.

The design and aesthetics of the coffee shop were stunning, with the façade and décor awash in Tiffany blue, making it absolutely instagramable. Wooden furnishing offers a beautiful warm contrast to the cool color palette. 


Xiao Ming? You might ask who is Xiao Ming? I remember Xiao Ming is a character that often appears in my Chinese essay writing and Chinese textbooks during my schooling days. "Xiao Ming" is not an actual person, but more like a familiar friend who accompanies us grow up.



Lovely mosaic flooring adorn the interior, adding a touch of vintage charm to the entire space. Colorful Peranakan plates and bowls brings back good old memories of the past.

The menu was limited in choice but quite diverse. However, the food was rather disappointing. Ordering was done through QR menu, which gave us plenty of time to check out their food offerings and choose. 


Xiao Ming Kopitiam serves Hong Kong-style food and local favorites dishes like Nasi Lemak, Satay, Dim Sum, Chicken Chop, etc. As we were not very hungry, we ordered a few light bites to share among the three of us. 
\
Steamed Cheong Fun & Carrot Cake

Price: RM 10.70

Both the steamed Cheong Fun and Carrot cake were cold and hard. The Cheong Fun actually taste like the instant ones that are sold in the supermarkets. 

Ham, Scrambled Egg & Cheese Croissant

Price: RM 14.30

Seriously, this looks absolutely nothing like the photo you see on the menu. It doesn't look appetizing or appealing at all. The description says "Ham", but it was actually luncheon meat. Well, not really a big issue since I love luncheon meat. But Scrambled egg? There was only a few tiny pieces of scrambled egg in the croissant, unlike the photo.

The croissant was also tough and dry. It was so hard that it was falling apart all over the place. To be honest, if I saw the real thing, I will not order it all. 

Roti Bakar with Butter & Kaya 

Price: RM 8.30 

The toasts were too thick and dry. They were served cold and not crunchy at all. Although they were generous in giving the fillings, the Kaya was too sweet, and I can’t taste the butter at all.


I think that this restaurant is seriously overrated. Even though it is an affordable food option in Gohtong Jaya, I don’t think this is a good reason for me to spend my money here again. The quality of the food definitely need to be improved in order to convince customers to return. 

Xiao Ming Kopitiam 小明冰室
Jalan Jati 1
69000 Genting Highlands
Pahang
Hours: 9am - 12 am

Be sure to follow me on my FacebookTwitter or Instagram to get the latest updates on my blog! Also, do not forget to share my blog posts with your family and friends if you find them helpful. In the meantime, you might also want to check My Wanderlust page for some of my other travel adventures.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments