[Old Klang Road, Kuala Lumpur] Happy Garden Fish Head Mee Hoon @ Choy Kei Coffee Shop

By Elin Chow - Tuesday, January 17, 2023


Photo By: Elin Chow

Tried the Happy Garden Fish Head Bee Hoon stall at Choy Kei Coffee Shop as we happened to be in the vicinity of Happy Garden the other day. The coffee shop is located in the Jalan Lazat residential area at Old Klang Road. 

Parking can be difficult to find here, especially during peak hours. There are several food stalls at Choy Kei Coffee Shop, and one of them is Fish Head Bee Hoon. The stall is very popular with the local residents, and there was usually a constant and stream of people waiting to get their hands on a bowl of it.


A basic bowl of Fish Paste or Fish Head Mee Hoon costs RM 13. The portion of noodles and fish were generous. However, the broth, which was derived from evaporated milk, sliced tomatoes, preserved vegetables, ginger, spring onions and fried fish head chunks or fish paste, was not to our liking. There was too much wine added to the broth, which made it taste too sweet and tangy. It was also a little too salty.

The Fried Fish Head were good though. They were fresh, aromatic and crispy to the bite. Most importantly, there was no fishy smell.


The Fish Paste was so-so. Nothing to shout about. I actually find them too soft and not springy. Personally, I prefer Fish Paste with a firmer bite and a springy consistency. 


Seriously, I don't know why their Fish Head Bee Hoon is so popular. I guess it's all down to personal preference. Prices are a bit on the high side but still acceptable. The coffee shop is not really a comfortable place to eat. It was very hot and stuffy. 

Other than Fish Head Mee Hoon, another popular stall is Pork Noodles. I would probably try the Pork Noodles if I come here again next time. 

Choy Kei Coffee Shop
73, Jalan Lazat 1
Taman Gembira
58200 Kuala Lumpur

Be sure to follow me on my FacebookTwitter or Instagram to get the latest updates on my blog! Also, do not forget to share my blog posts with your family and friends if you find them helpful. In the meantime, you might also want to check My Wanderlust page for some of my other travel adventures.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments