[Setapak, Kuala Lumpur] Nian Dai KopiDiam 年代餐室

By Elin Chow - Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Photo By: Elin Chow

Located in Setapak, Nian Dian KopiDiam is a contemporary Kopitiam (traditional coffee shop) with a retro vibe. It is decorated with older, nostalgia-inducing knick-knacks, ornaments and appliances that will evoke memories of the good old days. 

With red bricks walls and old Peranakan tiles donning the façade, the restaurant is already Instagram-worthy from the outside. 



Once you are through the doors, you will feel like you have been transported back to the 1980s. The interior is decked out with antique decorations and items. Old televisions, typewriter, telephone, sewing machine, radio and charming bric-a-brac adorned the shelves 

Seats are pretty limited and placed closely to each other. But the entire space is pretty clean and cozy. 

Chicken Satay with Condiments

We ordered their highly recommended Satay to share among us. I must say that it was pretty delicious.  Unlike traditional Satay, their Satay have a crispy texture as though they were deep fried in oil. It was pretty interesting but delicious. I must say I really like it. However, the sauce was a bit thin and watery. If they could improve the quality of their Satay sauce, it will be so much better.

Curry Laksa with Roasted Pork and Pork Meatballs

I didn't try their Curry Laksa so I can't comment on the taste. But the curry broth looks diluted and watery. I really wonder how it taste. 

Wok Fried Roasted Pork with Garlic & Dark Soy Rice Bowl
Herbal Broth Mixian (Rice Noodles) with Gyoza & Vegetables
Herbal Broth Mixian (Rice Noodles) with Sliced Pork, Pork Meatballs & Vegetables

I ordered Herbal Broth Mixian with Sliced Pork. The herbal broth noodles were pretty disappointing. It was pretty bland and the herbal taste was really mild. 

Conclusion

Judging from its menu, I think Nian Dai KopiDiam specializes more on pork dishes. I don't see a lot of chicken choices on its menu. Nian Dai will actually change its menu from time to time to offer customers new choices, as well as replace the less popular dishes. 

Overall, the food was okay, but nothing exceptional. The portions were a little small and prices are still quite reasonable. As for the environment, it was clean and cozy. 

Nian Dai KopiDiam 年代餐室
G2, Wisma Setapak 33
Jalan 3/23d, Off Jalan Genting Kelang
Taman Danau Kota
53100 Kuala Lumpur
Hours: Monday - Friday 10 am - 10 pm
            Saturday & Sunday - 8 am - 10 pm

Be sure to follow me on my FacebookTwitter or Instagram to get the latest updates on my blog! Also, do not forget to share my blog posts with your family and friends if you find them helpful. In the meantime, you might also want to check My Wanderlust page for some of my other travel adventures.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments