[Review] Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion

By Elin Chow - Sunday, September 21, 2014

Photo By: Elin Chow

Just a month before my recent trip to Bali, I started to search around for a reliable sunscreen lotion to prepare myself for the sunny beaches on that beautiful island. To be frank, I am never a fan of sunscreen due to the bad experiences I have encountered in the past. However, for my Bali trip, I realized that sunscreen is actually the only way to keep my skin safe from the harmful UV rays. Since I knew that I will be out exploring the island for an entire day, it is really important for me to keep my skin well-protected from the sun.

My colleague who just happened to know that I am searching for a sunscreen for my Bali trip gave her tube of Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion to me. Since I could not figure which sunscreen brand to buy, I decided that I will just use whatever product she had gave me.

Unexpectedly, this lotion surprised me and made me fell in love with it. This product has not only deliver what it is supposed to do, but at the same time, has also exceeded my expectation. This is why I am here writing a review for it now.

What Does Banana Boat Says

With a SPF as high as 110, the Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion promise to deliver the highest level of protection to your skin during any sport activities. This advanced formula would help to protect your skin from sunburn and long-term skin damages caused by excessive exposure to the harmful UV rays. 

Apart from protecting your skin from 99% of burning sun rays, this product also claims to be very water/sweat resistant. Whether you are going for a swim or sweating profusely in the extreme heat, this product has the ability to protect your skin from sunburn and skin damages. In addition to that, its quickly absorbing formulation allows this product to be easily absorbed by the skin. 

What I Like About This Product

1. Quick absorption and non-greasy

Just like what Banana Boat has claimed, this product can be quickly absorbed once applied on my skin. Despite its rather thick consistency, this product does not feel sticky or greasy on my skin at all after application.

In addition to that, the lotion itself is white in colour, which in fact, worries me as I wonder whether it will be able to glide on and blend into my skin well. To be frank, I was feeling rather hesitant to try as I thought that its thick consistency might make things worst. Surprisingly, I am glad that this product actually glides on and blend smoothly into my skin without leaving a white residue behind.

Most importantly is this product does not feel heavy on my face and give off a rather matte finish that lasted throughout an entire day. Its water/sweat resistant feature is also effective in preventing the lotion from melting under the scorching heat and keep my face free from oil and shine for the rest of the day.

2. High SPF 

I am really glad that I have brought the Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion along with me for my recent trip to Bali. Thanks to this product, my skin has not suffered from any severe sunburn or damages while I visited some of the popular beach destinations in Bali. 

To be frank, my complexion did get slightly more tanned than before, but it is largely caused by my laziness to reapply the sunscreen lotion once every few hours to ensure its effectiveness. Even so, I am pleased to learn that this product has actually done it job well in protecting my skin from suffering from a more severe sunburn. Why did I say so? Well, let's me explain this in further details.

So, other than me, my husband has decided to rub a generous amount of this product on his body, mainly focusing on his arms and legs areas. However, he decided not to apply the Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion on his neck and face areas. For some reason, he thought it was rather gross to apply it on these two areas, especially on his face. Unfortunately, this is also the reason why he has suffered some minor sunburn around his neck and face. 

Unlike my husband, I have applied the lotion on every part of my body and luckily, I did! Although I did not managed to reapply the sunscreen once every few hours, I am still thankful that this product has done its job well and kept my fair skin safe from the harmful UV rays. I could not imagine what would have happened if I have not brought the Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion along with me for my Bali trip. 

3. Packaging and Price

The Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion is packed in an orange plastic tube with a blue screw cap, containing either 30ml or 90ml of the product. The packaging is very sturdy and travel-friendly. 

Price wise, I believe a 90ml tube of this product will not cost you more than RM 40, which I personally feel is still within the acceptance range. Comparing to many other brands of sunscreen products available in the market, the Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion is neither too costly nor cheap.

In addition, you could easily purchase this product from most of the major drugstores and department stores in both Singapore and Malaysia. In fact, this product is also readily available in most of the convenience stores in Bali as well. 

What I Dislike About This Product

1. Smell

If there is one thing I dislike about this product, it's the smell. I could not really describe what it exactly smell alike to. Although it is lightly-scent, it still smell really weird and not so pleasant to me. It probably smell a little bit like plastic, but comes with a rather strong chemical, alcohol and medicine smell. So, imagine having chemical, alcohol and medicine all being mixed up together. I believe most of the people would not like the smell of such mixture as well.

However, the smell does not really bother me that much as it tends to go away after the product has been fully absorbed by my skin. It will only take just a short few seconds. I am absolutely fine as long as the awful smell does not linger around me for an entire day. If not, I believe I would have stopped using this product after the first day. But I did not. This shows that the smell is still at a very tolerable level and you have almost nothing to worry about.

How Do I Use This Product

The method to apply the Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion is no different from the other sunscreen products you purchased in the market.

1. Squeeze an appropriate amount of lotion out from the tube and spread it evenly and generously onto your skin.

2. Blend well and wait for 5 to 10 minutes before you proceed to put on your makeup. This is to give the sunscreen enough time to be fully absorbed by your skin.

3. After 5 to 10 minutes, you could proceed to put on your foundation and finishing powder. I would suggest opting for makeup products which also comes with some SPF as well. This is to offer you double protection from the harmful UV rays.

4. If you are going for a swim or to the beach, then putting on makeup is really unnecessary.

5. It is recommended for you to reapply the lotion in every 2 hours if you are expected to be out in the sun for an entire day. This is because even the best sunscreen tends to wear off after a while, which will often left your skin exposed to the harmful UV rays. Reapplication will ensure that your skin remain protected.

Final Thoughts

Apart from limiting yourself from sun exposure, the application of a sunscreen also plays a very important role in protecting your skin. A good and effective sunscreen will definitely help you to remain safe in the sun, even for an extended period of time. Although the use of sunscreen might not guarantee that you will not suffer from a sunburn or skin damages, it is still effective in providing a certain extent of protection to your skin.

Of course, other than the Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion, I believe there are a wide selection of sunscreen available in the market today for you to choose from. But I believe not all of them will work well on your skin. So, if you happened to be searching for an effective sunscreen lotion now, I would like to recommend you to give this product a try. Definitely, it might not be the best in the market, but I believe it will not be the worst.

Be sure to follow me on Facebook or Twitter  for any latest updates on my blog. So stay tuned!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Hi! May i know how did you remove the sunscreen at the end of the day? Makeup remover all over the body?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I did not remove the sunscreen from my body as I feel that is not necessary. I just bathe at the end of the day. But for face, I do use a makeup remover.

      Delete
    2. Hi, I did not remove the sunscreen from my body as I feel that is not necessary. I just bathe at the end of the day. But for face, I do use a makeup remover.

      Delete
  2. it is suitable for acne face?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for the review. However, this product contains benzophenon, what do you think about it? I really really want to know your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review. I just want to ask if it is okay to apply this to a sensitive skin? Baby's skin perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't think this is suitable to be used on baby's skin. I remember they have one specially for kids. Maybe you can check out that one.

      Delete
  5. I just put some of this product on and found it to be thick, oily and greasy. Very hard to wash off. Can’t be good for our skin or our waterways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using this years. It does it’s job very well. Always protect me from sunburns. I didn’t find it hard to wash off, and so far, I have never suffered from any skin problems from this. Anyway, this review was posted years ago. I believe there are better products these days.

      Delete