[Review] Lay's Potato Chips Cucumber Flavor 乐事黄瓜味

By Elin Chow - Tuesday, November 24, 2020













Photo By: Elin Chow

Lay's is one of the most popular and top selling potato chips brands in the U.S and worldwide. It is one of the best selling products under PepsiCo, a company that was formed by the merger of Pepsi and Frito-Lay in 1965. There are over 200 different flavors of Lays chips in the world, Many of the flavors are inspired by the different food cultures in the world, adapting to the tastes of local consumers. Thus, many of the flavors are unique and are available in specific countries only. Check out the list of different Lays chips flavors I have tried so far!


Well, I am not a huge fan of Lays, but I always like trying new flavors. I have tried the cucumber flavored chips from Lay's China recently. Sounds intriguing but also a bit weird at the same time. But it turned out to be one of my most favorite Lay's flavors even though I really dislike cucumber. I hate cucumber because of its strong, distinct flavor. So it was kind of surprising that I actually like the taste of Lay's cucumber flavored chips.


Ingredients

POTATO, VEGETABLE OIL, CUCUMBER FLAVORED SEASONING (SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, WHEY POWDER (CONTAINS MILK), MSG SALT, FOOD FLAVORING, ONION POWDER, WHITE VINGAR POWDER (VINGEAR, MALTODEXTRIN, SUGAR, SALT, CITRIC ACID, STARCH, SILICON DIOXIDE), SILICON DIOXIDE, CUCUMBER POWDER, ASPARTAME, SOY SAUCE POWDER (SOY SAUCE, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM SUCCINATE, GLYCINE) (CONTAINS WHEAT, SOYBEANS)

A lot of natural flavorings are used to make the cucumber chips. The main ingredients are cucumber flavored seasoning, cucumber powder, onion powder, white vinegar powder and soy sauce powder. 


It was disappointing to find that there was more air than chips when I tear open the bag. It was only 1/3 full. Even though I already expected that, I still felt a little cheated. Upon opening the bag, I could smell the cucumber. It smell fresh and natural.


Each chip is sprinkled with small soy sauce flakes. It has quite a lot of air bubbles, so it has a very nice crunch. The chips are quite big and the thickness is just right. I like that it was not too thin or thick with a crispy texture. 

Surprisingly. it really did taste like cucumber, except that it would not gush out cucumber juice. Just imagine eating cucumber in crispy chip form. It was really interesting. 

The cucumber chips are light, refreshing and not overpowering. They are lightly salted with a hint of sweetness and sourness. I like that they are not salty or overly greasy. They taste healthy even though they are obviously unhealthy. 

I feel that this is an underrated flavor because not many people actually knows about it. Compared to many other Lay's flavors from China, you can actually buy this cucumber flavor easily in many Chinese supermarkets or online stores in Malaysia. 

The cucumber flavored chips is available as Lay's Stax as well. Lay's Stax is pretty much like Pringles. It comes in a tube can with a slide out tray, but they are not as crunchy as Lay's as the potato chips are heavier and thicker. 

Be sure to follow me on my FacebookTwitter or Instagram to get the latest updates on my blog! Also, do not forget to share my blog posts with your family and friends if you find them helpful. In the meantime, you might also want to check my Snacks page for some other reviews of the snack food I have tried so far,

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I do not like Lay's cucumber potato chips and would like some input on how to hide the flavor.

    ReplyDelete