[Review] Lay's Hot Chili Squid Flavor Ridged Potato Chips

By Elin Chow - Sunday, March 28, 2021


Photo By: Elin Chow

I recently tried Lay’s Hot Chili Squid Ridged Potato Chips by Lay’s Thailand. It actually taste very much like your favorite Thai street food, which is good to have, especially when travel becomes almost impossible during this Covid-19 period. Check out the list of different Lays chips flavors I have tried so far.












Ingredients

Potatoes, Rice Bran Oil, Seasoning (Sugar, Chili, Garlic, Salt, Soy Sauce Powder, Squid Powder, Glycine, Silicon Dioxide, Soybean Oil, Permitted Sweetener Aspartame, Contains Anticaking Agent, Acidity Regulator as Permitted Food Conditioner, Contains Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate as Permitted Flavor Enhancer, Permitted Coloring and Flavoring Substance) Contains Wheat, Barley, Soybeans, Milk and Squid



When I opened the bag, the smell was actually quite strong. It has a very overpowering Thai grilled squid or fishy smell. I believe people who hates grilled squid will find the smell very off-putting. 



The narrow rippled potato chips are light orange color. They are textured like Ruffles with a bit of seasoning inside the ripples. I find most of the chips a little small, and probably one of the smallest of all the Lay's chips I have tried so far. 

The ruffle cut actually gave the chips a nice thickness and crunch with a full potato flavor. It tastes like grilled squid with a slightly sweet and spicy taste. However, the squid taste is not overpowering. It does not taste extremely fishy either, unlike how it smelled like.

I actually expected that this will be spicy because it says "hot chili". However, it was not. In fact, I found it was not spicy at all, even after the spice built up. On the other hand, it made me felt extremely thirsty after eating it because it was a little too salty. 

Overall, I think it was tasty but a little disappointing. It would perfect if Lay's can make the squid flavor stronger, and probably a little more spicy as well. Will I recommend? Yes, I think it is still worth a try. You can get this easily in most of the major supermarkets or online stores in Malaysia.

Be sure to follow me on my FacebookTwitter or Instagram to get the latest updates on my blog! Also, do not forget to share my blog posts with your family and friends if you find them helpful. In the meantime, you might also want to check my Snacks page for some other reviews of the snack food I have tried so far,

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments