Getting The Keys To Our First Home!

By Elin Chow - Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Photo By: Elin Chow

After a long 3 years wait, our new house is finally ready. Having watched the house being built from scratch, we have been anxiously waiting for this moment for the past 3 years. I figured that it will be a good idea to document this momentous moment in my blog so that I could look back in the future. But unfortunately, I could not share some of the photos due to privacy reason. However, do not be disappointed because I will try to share as much as I could.

The project was completed 3 months ahead of schedule, and the delivery of vacant procession started near the end of September. However, we only managed to make an appointment to collect our keys somewhere around mid of October.

Vacant procession was done at the activity room of our condo, where we were warmly welcomed by the staffs. We felt almost like VIPs. After confirming our details, we received sets of keys, 2 access cards and key fobs, all packed nicely in a box. Then, we signed several documents to mark our acceptance of keys to our new property before proceeding to on-site inspection.

A Peek Into Our Humble Abode

It is a 900 sq ft 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms condo unit located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. The developer does not have a showroom when they launched the project 3 years ago, we do not know what to expect. But I have high expectation, which often lead to greater disappointment.

The overall design of the condo is not bad, but I feel that there are still many areas that can be improved. The entryway leading into the house is very small, with the front door opens directly to the dining + living room. The house is partly furnished with tiles, basic bathroom fixtures, painted walls, internal doors and a very ugly kitchen sink. Floor to ceiling windows allows plenty of natural lighting into the house.


I was really surprised when I first saw the kitchen. The kitchen is so much smaller than what I have expected, and the yard is ridiculously tiny with hardly any place to move after putting in the washing machine.


The kitchen and yard are separated by a wooden sliding door, which is obviously a little redundant. Furthermore, the design of the door is really ugly. We are planning to dismantle it just to add a little more space to the kitchen.



The living area and balcony are slightly larger than what I have imagined. It will be a great place for family and friends to gather and spend some quality together.


The glass balcony offers external living space and an obstructed view over the surrounding area.




Our house comes with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The master bedroom is decently sized and comes with an attached bathroom. Both the bathrooms are spacious and nicely furnished and decorated.


Bedroom 1 is almost same size as the master bedroom, except that it does not come with an attached bathroom. The room has an odd corner which can make decorating a tricky affair.


Bedroom 2 is really tiny with 2 small windows. I believe the room will only able to accommodate a single bed and a wardrobe with not much space left to move around. I will be using this room as my study + makeup room.

A Peek Into The Common Facilities

The common facilities are pretty impressive, which includes:

Half Olympic Sized Swimming Pool


Kids Play Pool with Wet Apparatus and Decorative Water Curtain

Sexy Lazy Pool with Jet Spa

Cantilevered Sky Gym

Open Yoga Deck

Par Course For Elderly

Herbs Garden

Kids Playground

Sky Garden @ Level 37

Some other facilities also includes BBQ pits, pre-function room, activity room and aerobic room. There are works still waiting to be completed, so I could not take better photos of the place.

Checking For Defects

We thoroughly checked every areas of our house - the ceiling, doors, windows, piping, tiles and fitting installations. To be honest, I feel a little disappointed with the workmanship. It was not bad, but definitely not up to my expectation. Their workmanship is really rough, and there are many minor areas that have to be touched up. I feel that the quality of their workmanship can really be better for the price we paid.

Of course, I know well that I cannot expect everything to be perfect, but I expect it to adhere to certain standard. It seems that the developer was rushing to handover the project ahead of schedule. Yes, they did it, completing well ahead of schedule, and I am really thankful for that. But I rather they complete on time and deliver better quality of work.

From the first glance, the entire unit seems perfect with zero defects. But when we got close and scrutinise each area carefully, we started to notice minor defects all around the house. The entire house is really dirty. It seems that they did not even bother to clean up the unit before handling over the keys.


Most edges of the window frames are covered in cement and there are many stains on the floor and wall tiles. Most of the defects we spotted are very minor, but it does adds up to quite a long list. Some of the other minor defects we submitted include:

- Small chips and scratches on floor and wall tiles
- Scratches on window frames
- Scratches on toilet bowl covers in both bathrooms
- Most of the doors in the house are misaligned and the locks does not fit properly
- Rusty shower head and balcony railing (not sure whether it is rust or dirty)
- Missing lighting points
- One of the electrical socket tripped
- Faulty switches


The only major defect we spotted is the water seepage at the kitchen ceiling. Overall, we spent about 4 hours in a span of 3 days looking around the house for defects. We are told that rectification works will be done within a month, so hopefully we can start the renovation of our home at the end of next month.  I shall update again after the rectification works are completed.

Be sure to follow me on Facebook or Twitter  for any latest updates on my blog. So stay tuned! 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Congrats for your new house! I'm still working for my first house >,< Wish me luck! Ah can't wait to have my own..

    (p/s: it's my first time here, love your writing already)

    ReplyDelete