[Review] Lotus Biscoff Original Caramelized Biscuits

By Elin Chow - Sunday, January 30, 2022


Photo By: Elin Chow

There has been a lot of hype about the Lotus Biscoff Original Caramelized Biscuits on social media. Recently, I have see numerous posts featuring recipes using Lotus Biscoff biscuits appearing everywhere online. This has made me really curious about why everyone is suddenly so obsessed with these little biscuits. Therefore, I decided to buy a pack of it from Lazada to find out why. 

The history of Lotus Biscoff began in 1932 in Lembeke, Belgium. It was created by a Belgian baker named Jan Boone Sr, who named it Lotus, after the flower that symbolize purity. 

Biscoff is basically derived from "biscuit" and "coffee because the biscuit is often paired with a fresh cup of coffee. As a result, the biscuits have also earned the reputation of being "Europe's Favorite Cookie with Coffee" throughout the years. 

INGREDIENTS

Wheat Flour, Sugar, Vegetable Oils (Contain one of more of Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil, Canola Oil, Palm Sugar), Brown Sugar Syrup, Sodium Bicarbonate (Leavening), Soy Flour, Salt, Cinnamon 

Lotus Biscoff is caramelized biscuit made from a handful of natural ingredients with no colors and added flavors. 


PACKAGING

I bought the 93-gram pack, which comes with six individually mini packed units, containing two biscuits each. The packaging is very convenient, which also ensured the biscuits remain fresh, making them hygienic to share. The biscuits are ideal on-the-go snack that you can enjoy anywhere you go. 


The biscuits are not only delicious tasting but also visually attractive. Tearing open the packet,  you will find the long and beautifully brown biscuits with "Lotus" embossed on the front in cursive and a trim border. Although they look very much like Digestive biscuits, they are actually Speculoos, which are Belgian spiced gingerbread shortcrust cookies that are traditionally made and eaten during the winter season.


TASTE & TEXTURE

I love the taste and texture of the Lotus Biscoff. They are surprisingly crunchy with a distinctive and unique caramelized taste that made the world fell in love with them. I like that the texture of the biscuits is grainy and sturdy, but not crumbly or mushy. The biscuits have a strong caramel and a pretty mild cinnamon flavor, and to be honest, I am not really a fan of cinnamon. But I love these biscuits, including the cinnamon in them. 

Initially I was worried that they would be overly sweet, but fortunately, they are not. The biscuits have a nice sweetness that is not too overpowering. With a pinch of salt added, it creates a nice balanced flavor.

The biscuits are prefect for dipping into unsweetened tea, coffee or milk or great to enjoy alone. This will definitely be a great snack to enjoy at any time of the day. 

CONCLUSION

The Lotus Biscoff is a bit pricey, but not overhyped. Even so, it is definitely not a snack for regular consumption due to the price point. I always feel that eating only one pack is never enough.  Once I have a bite of it, I couldn't resist to have another one. The taste is absolutely addictive and irresistible. I must admit I am totally hooked on them now.  You can easily get these from Lazada!

Be sure to follow me on my FacebookTwitter or Instagram to get the latest updates on my blog! Also, do not forget to share my blog posts with your family and friends if you find them helpful. In the meantime, you might also want to check my Snacks page for some other reviews of the snack food I have tried so far.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments