[Review] L'oreal Paris Dermo-Expertise Gentle Cleansing Milk

By Elin Chow - Saturday, April 19, 2014


Photo By: Elin Chow

I have been using this product for the past 3 years and today, I have finally decided to write a detailed review for the L'oreal Paris Dermo-Expertise Gentle cleansing milk, one of the best makeup remover I have used in my beauty life. In fact, I got my first bottle of this cleansing milk from my younger sister, who happened to dislike this product and instead of throwing it away, gave it to me.

I accepted it without a second thought as I was looking for a makeup remover that could better suit my skin at that time. Despite that my sister actually find the Loreal Gentle Cleansing Milk works bad on her skin, I still decided to go ahead and try it out. However, different from my sister, I find this product works awesome for my skin! The L'oreal Gentle Cleansing Milk is not only very affordable, but has also delivered what it has promised. This is the reason why I kept on re-purchasing this product for years.

What L'oreal Paris says


The L'oreal Paris Dermo-Expertise Gentle Cleansing Milk gently removes makeup and other impurities and at the same time, helps to protect the skin's natural moisture level. Enriched with lipo-proteins, it reinforces the skin's natural protective layers, leaving it soft and supple.

What I like about this product

1. Effectively Remove My Makeup

The L'oreal Gentle Cleansing Milk is one of the better cream-based makeup remover I have found in the market. I basically use this to remove makeup from my entire face. Be it foundation, concealer, eyeliner or even mascara, this product has never failed me.

Are you serious? Most people would have bern surprised that I actually use this product to remove my waterproof eyeliner and Mascara, which they usually find it with extreme difficulty. Well, I could not comment much more on this as I feel that this is a matter of personal preference rather than something that is either right or wrong.

So why do I prefer the L'oreal Gentle Cleansing Milk instead of oil-based waterproof eye removers? It's simply because this product helps to remove my eye makeup well without any irritation. This cleansing milk is so gentle that it does not cause my eyes to be uncomfortable or sting even when some of the product accidentally got into my eyes. I always have a common problem with other eye removal products which I have tried in the past where I had experienced severe eye irritations. I remember there was even a time that the irritation got so painful that I almost cried. It was so horrible that I swore that I will never purchase that product again.
It is true that the L'oreal Gentle Cleansing Milk might not remove makeup as well as other brands of makeup removers available in the market. However, this does not mean that this product is bad. What you need will be a little extra of patience and time and it will deliver what it has promised.

2. Smell

I find the smell of the cleansing milk quite appealing. It smell a bit like baby lotion. If you love the smell of baby lotion, I bet you would probably love the smell of this product too! The milk is pure white in color. However, I find the consistency of this product a bit too watery sometimes even when it looks thick. I have make it a point to be more careful when using the cleansing milk as to prevent any unnecessary spills and wastage.

3. Price and Packaging

This is a very affordable cleansing product as compared to other makeup removals you can find in the market. I could not remember the exact price, but I think I have got mine at around SGD 13 or MYR 30 from the Watsons or Guardian stores.

The L'oreal Gentle Cleansing Milk comes in a white plastic bottle, containing 200 ml of the product. The packaging is nothing fanciful, but I will say it is very hygienic and easy to use. A bottle of this would probably last me for about half a year since I don't put on makeup as often as before now.

4. Moisturizing

I am not sure whether this product is moisturizing at all. But it did leave my skin feeling clean and soft after each use. The L'oreal Gentle Cleansing Milk contains Parkii, which is Shea Butter. I have mentioned the benefits of Shea Butter on hair in my review for the Kao Essential Nuance Airy Hair Mask previously.

Let's look at the benefits of Shea Butter on skin.

Extracted from the nut of the African Shea tree, it is a rich, cream-colored substance that has natural soothing and moisturizing properties. Shea Butter is full of nutrients, which includes vitamin A and E. As such, it has been well-known for its healing properties in treating blemishes, wrinkles, eczema and even burns.

In addition, due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is soothing on skin and thus, is suitable for people from all skin types.

What I dislike about this product

1. Very greasy

If there is one thing I really dislike about the L'oreal Gentle Cleansing Milk, it will be the greasiness. As mentioned in many of my previous product reviews, I hate skin products that cause my skin to feel extremely oily. Unfortunately, this is one of it.

I checked out the ingredient list and discovered that it actually contains Paraffinum Liquidum, which is Mineral oil. I am not sure whether this is a common ingredient used in the formulation of most makeup removers. However, so far, it has not caused any pimples on my face. The greasiness will be gone after you washed your face with a facial cleanser, thus, it is never really a big problem for me. If not, I might have stopped using it long ago.

How do I use this product

Usually, I prefer to use toliet paper rather than cotton pads when I am removing my makeup. No special reason. It's just that I find toilet papers more cheaper and easier to use when removing makeup.

DIsperse an appropriate amount of the cleansing milk on the toilet paper, I will wipe my face in a circular motion, starting from my eyes area. Now, you might ask how much is an appropriate amount? It depends on how heavy your makeup is. But I can assure that you do not need a lot of the product in order to remove your makeup entirely.

I will use the Loreal Gentle Cleansing Milk for two rounds. The first round to remove most of my makeup and the second to get all the remaining stubborn residues away.

I usually only remove my makeup before I am going to shower where I will then proceed to wash and clean my face with a facial cleanser.

My final thoughts

No matter which brands of makeup removers you prefer, removing your makeup entirely from your face every night before bed is an absolute must. Definitely makeup wipes are not sufficient to remove every traces of your makeup. It is an essential to purchase a good makeup remover to do the job. If you do not believe me, try cleaning your skin with a makeup remover after using makeup wipes.

Whether it is oil-based or cream-based, it depends greatly on personal preferences. For me, I prefer cream-based makeup removals as they tends to not clog up my pores or make my face feels super oily. The L'oreal Dermo-Expertise Gentle Cleansing Milk is extremely gentle, which I believe will be suitable for all skin types. If you are looking for a gentle makeup removal that does not irritate your eyes and dry your skin up, I recommend you to try this product out. It would not disappoint you very much.

Be sure to follow me on Facebook or Twitter  for any latest updates on my blog. So stay tuned!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments